Mrs. James’ Website 7th Grade, 8th Grade, 9th Grade, and English
7th and 8th Grade Personal Narrative Rubric
All students in grades 7 and 8 have been given their own rubrics and prompts. If they loose either of these documents, please have them print what they need from this web page.
PERSONAL NARRATIVE RUBRIC:
ORGANIZATION and FOCUS:
If the essay clearly meets the criteria for evaluation, the student will receive 4 points for each requirement.
- Introduction grabs the reader's attention
- Details in the introduction set the scene
- First-person point of view is consistent throughout the essay
- Events are in chronological order
- Transitional words are used linking events and strengthening coherence
- Descriptive details elaborate upon each event, making people, places, and events seem real
- Precise words communicate specific ideas or create images in the reader's mind
- Writer's thoughts and feelings are included.
- Conclusion states why the experience is meaningful
Standard English spelling, punctuation, and capitalization, are used throughout the essay
Standard English grammar and sentence structure are used throughout the essay
Failure to do what is listed below will result in the lose of 5 points from your essay grade. Making sure that you complete your essay as stated below will give you 5 points toward your essay grade.
Your essay must :
Be double spaced
Have the rubric stapled to your essay
Be neatly written or typed in black ink
Be approximately 550 words in length
If typed, be in a legible font of no more than 14 points