Mrs. James’ Website 6th Grade, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, Language Arts, and English
Personal Narrative Essay Rubric
Personal Narrative Essay - DUE Wed., Sept. 24th
All students in grades 7 and 8 will be given their own rubrics and prompts. If they lose either of these documents, please have them print what they need from this web page.
Each bullet is worth 4 points each.
ORGANIZATION and FOCUS:
- Introduction grabs the reader's attention
- Details in the introduction set the scene
- First-person point of view is consistent throughout the essay
- Events are in chronological order
- Transitional words are used linking events and strengthening coherence
- Descriptive details elaborate upon each event, making people, places, and events seem real
- Precise words communicate specific ideas or create images in the reader's mind
- Writer's thoughts and feelings are included.
- Conclusion states why the experience is meaningful
- Standard English spelling, punctuation, and capitalization, are used throughout the essay
- Standard English grammar and sentence structure are used throughout the essay
Failure to do what is listed below will result in the loss of 5 points from your essay grade. Making sure that you complete your essay as stated below will give you 5 points toward your essay grade.
Your essay must : (The items below are worth a total of 5 points.)
Be double spaced
Have the rubric stapled to your essay
Be approximately 550-750 words in length
Be typed legibly in 12-14 point font, no larger
Be in black ink